Anyone interested in becoming a candidate for the Board of Education of the Pine Plains Central School District may pick up a packet of information including nominating petitions from the District Clerk at the District Office or at a Board of Education meeting.
There are two seats available for three-year terms commencing July 1, 2017 and expiring June 30, 2020. The Board member election will be held on Tuesday, May 16, 2017, the same time as the vote on the 2017-2018 school district budget.
Nominating petitions are due in the District Office no later than Monday, April 17, 2017 at 5:00 pm with at least twenty five (25) signatures of qualified voters of the district. Potential candidates are strongly encouraged to obtain more than 25 signatures to ensure that petitions include at least 25 valid signatures.
Board of Education member qualifications are as follows:
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be incompetent.
- Must be and have been a resident of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately preceding the election.
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year.
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family.
- May not be a current employee of the school district.
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
If you have any questions, about the vote or the voting process, please contact Julia Tomaine, District Clerk at (518) 398-7181 Ext. 1408. The official “Notice of the Pine Plains Central School District Public Hearing on the Budget, Annual Meeting, School District Election and Voting on Propositions” will be published in the official newspapers of the district and posted on the website.