Anyone interested in becoming a candidate for the Board of Education of the Pine Plains Central School District may pick up a packet of information at the District Office or at a Board of Education meeting from the District Clerk.
Pine Plains Central School District has three seats for the Board of Education for a three-year term (7/1/18 - 6/30/21) and one seat commencing on May 15, 2018 and ending on June 30, 2020. These will be available to be filled through the Board member election that will be held on Tuesday, May 15, 2018, the same time as the District’s Annual Budget Vote.
This year the voting on the 2018-2019 School Budget, and the four (4) available Board of Education seats, will be conducted between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. at one voting location; which will be in the cafeteria of Stissing Mountain Junior / Senior High School at 2829 Church Street, Pine Plains, NY 12567.
The four seats are currently held by Joseph Kiernan, Heidi Johnson, Anne Arent and Jean Stapf and they have indicated that they are interested in seeking another term.
Nominating petitions are due in the District Office no later than Monday, April 16, 2018 at 5:00 pm with at least twenty five (25) signatures of qualified voters of the district. Potential candidates are strongly encouraged to obtain more than 25 signatures to ensure that petitions include at least 25 valid signatures. The filing of Statements of Expenditures is required by law on three separate occasions.
The statements must be filed with the District Clerk by the following dates:
- Monday, April 16, 2018 – On or before the 30th day preceding the date of the election.
- Thursday, May 10, 2018 - On or before the 5th day preceding the date of the election.
- Monday, June 4, 2018 - Within 20 days following the date of the election.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP ON THE SCHOOL BOARD:
A Board of Education member of the Pine Plains Central District must meet the following qualifications:
- Citizen of the United States;
- Eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- Able to read and write;
- A legal resident of the District for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one (1) year immediately prior to the election;
- Cannot be an employee of the Pine Plains Central District;
- The only member of his/her family (that is, cannot be a member of the same household) on the Pine Plains Central District Board;
- May not simultaneously hold another, incompatible public office including, but not limited to, Tax Collector, Treasurer, Librarian, or Town Supervisor.
- Must not have been removed from a school district office within one (1) year preceding the date of appointment or election to the Board.
Dutchess County School Boards Association is sponsoring a workshop for prospective Board members on Saturday, March 17, 2018. The workshop is held at the BOCES Administration Building from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. You can call BOCES at (845) 486-4800, ext. 2201 for more information.
If I can be of assistance at any time, please do not hesitate to contact Julia W. Tomaine, District Clerk at (518) 398-7181 x1408.