Excerpt from "A Short Guide to the Educational Rights of Children and Youth Living in Temporary Housing in New York State"
If your family is living in any of the following situations...
- In emergency or transitional housing;
- Sharing housing due to loss of housing or economic hardship;
- In a motel, hotel, trailer park, or camping grounds due to lack of other housing;
- In a car, park, public space, abandoned building, or bus or train station;
- Awaiting foster care placement; or
- In any of the above housing arrangements and are eligible for the Migrant Education Program
...your children have important educational rights under the McKinney-Vento Act, a federal law.
This law protects the educational rights of children and youth living in temporary housing situations such as those described above. Children and youth living in these situations will be protected by the McKinney-Vento Act for the entire time they are living in a temporary housing situation.